Friday 10 April 2015

Pattern Designer Profiles - Boho Knits

From April 2, 2015
For our first week, we are featuring Kelly McClure of Bohoknits.  Not only is she a fellow Canadian, but I discovered we share a lot of the same knitting related passions! (The ever-adorable Stephen West of Westknits, Tosh yarn, and tea drinking; just for starters...)
Introducing Kelly in her own words:
"Everyone has a story about how they learned to knit. My earliest memories of working with yarn was learning to "ball" it up for my mother and learning to make pom poms with my grandmother. My Mom eventually taught me to knit when I was about six years old and I taught myself to crochet in university. Now, my Mom is one of my most cherished test knitters. 
Bohoknits began about eight years ago when I was living in a camper van (by choice) and traveling across Canada. I knit my way from Ontario to BC, meandering around and exploring the country. Initially, I sold original knitted items at markets and eventually online, but they were so popular I quickly moved on to creating patterns and designs for other knitters and crocheters. 
Spending five years designing and working in a yarn shop in Canmore, AB helped me to develop the Bohoknits style. It's so cold there that I found myself constantly knitting just to stay warm! It was there that I connected with a fabulous hat company, Ambler Hats. We have been designing hats together for mass production for over five years and will hopefully continue for many more years. With them, I have traveled to Nepal where their hats are hand knit and worked with the women there, teaching knitting skills while attempting to overcome language barriers and enjoying the culture.
In addition to designing, I also hand-dye yarn in small batches, which will be available for purchase next winter. My background in Art History makes me uniquely suited to developing unique colours. I am now based in the beautiful Bloomfield, ON, where I am surrounded by inspiring nature and other talented artisans. Other obsessions of mine include reading, tea drinking, sewing, treasure hunting and exploring with my dog, Pilgrim."

Kelly's favourite pattern right now is the  Vegabond Hat, a reversible slouchy hat. However, if you are looking for a simple free pattern, she's been wearing her Timber Cowl a lot this winter!


Find Bohoknits on:
Ravelry     

Until next week everyone, keep your hands busy and those needles working!

Copyright We're Twisted 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment